J-1 Intern Visas

If you are a student or professional looking to exchange your ideas and knowledge in a variety of education, arts or science-related fields, the J-1 intern visa program may help you reach your goals.

Our Boulder immigration lawyer Lisa E. Battan, has more than 15 years of experience handling all types of immigration matters and can guide you through the process of obtaining a J-1 visa.


The J-1 visa classification is designed for use as part of the U.S. Department of State Exchange Visitor Program. This visa is to be used by individuals who plan to participate in an approved program for a variety of purposes, including:

  • Teaching, instructing or lecturing
  • Studying, observing or conducting research
  • Consulting
  • Demonstrating special skills
  • Receiving training or graduate medical education

The United States Department of State designates public and private entities such as national laboratories, colleges and universities to act as sponsors for J-1 applicants. The purpose of the J-1 visa is to promote the exchange of persons, knowledge and skills. Examples of exchange visitors include, but are not limited to:

  • Professors, scholars, educators and teachers
  • Postdoctoral students and research assistants
  • Students and trainees
  • Specialists
  • Nannies/Au pairs
  • Camp counselors

Application Process for a J-1 Visa

When you apply for a J-1 visa, the U.S. Department of State will play a very important role during the application process. Your first step is to obtain a Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status from a sponsoring agency. t.

Your next step after obtaining the Form DS-2019 is to apply for a J-1 visa. This application is done through the U.S. Department of State at a U.S. embassy or consulate. The J-1 intern must schedule a personal interview with a consular officer and wait times for an interview appointment can vary greatly. It is strongly suggested that you submit your visa application as early as possible, but you must also be aware that you cannot enter the United States in J-1 status more than 30 days before your program begins.

As with many immigration issues, the timing of your application and following the correct steps is critical. Working with an experienced immigration lawyer can help ensure that your application process goes smoothly. We can help match business and interns with appropriate J-1 sponsors. We can also help you successfully navigate the visa application process.

Employment and Family Classifications for J-1 Nonimmigrants

J-1's are intended for training and study. Whether or not you can work as a J-1 nonimmigrant will depend on the terms of the exchange program. For this reason, you should work closely with your sponsoring agency to understand the restrictions which are placed on you as part of the exchange program.

In addition, if you are married or have children under the age of 21, those family members may be entitled to J-2 classification. You family may be able to obtain work authorization, but their income may not be used to support you. We can help the J-2 nonimmigrant apply for an Employment Authorization Document.

Contact Longmont Exchange Visitor Immigration Lawyer

Please remember that the above information is general and is not complete. It is intended to provide an overview of the potential issues. If you are considering applying for a J-1 visa, you should contact Colorado immigration attorney Lisa E. Battan or call the law firm at 1-866-614-8668 to schedule a consultation. Through a personal consultation, we can identify the process which best suits your needs.